The goal of the Education Law Practice Group at Hodgson Russ is to provide high-quality legal services to help our school clients establish the best possible educational and work environments. Over the past 40 years, our attorneys have advised on the operations and employment matters of school districts and legal issues involving students.
Our attorneys have extensive experience in every aspect of education law, including:
- Administration of collective negotiations agreements in school districts and the Taylor Law
- Constitutional issues, including due process, search and seizure, and the First Amendment
- Contingency budgets in New York State
- Discipline of classified and certified employees
- Environmental law matters
- Federal and state civil rights laws
- Grievance administration and arbitration
- New York civil service issues
- New York State and federal laws generally affecting public schools
- Public Officers Law
- Regulations and decisions of the New York State Commissioner of Education
- Rehabilitation Act (§504) and Americans with Disabilities Act
- School building construction, closings, sales, and leases
- School finances
- School transportation issues
- Special education
- Student rights and discipline
- Tax issues pertaining to wages and benefits
- Tort liability of school districts and officials
Hodgson Russ operates on the premise that we work first and foremost for the board of education. In the area of employee relations, we generally represent management only. Nevertheless, our approach to labor relations is determinedly nonconfrontational. We recognize that the district must work together with employees and their unions for mutual interests to be served. However, there are times when management has to take a firm stand, and members of our Education Law Practice Group have an excellent reputation as persuasive advocates for school management when dealing with difficult situations.
The Hodgson Russ Advantage
Hodgson Russ provides school clients with an additional competitive edge—a full-service law firm with attorneys who are well versed in the technical and practical aspects of virtually any area that affects school districts. From litigation, tax rate proceedings, real estate, and employee relations to construction contracts and bonding, environmental law, and intellectual property, Hodgson Russ attorneys are thoroughly equipped to assist you.